Sunday, May 6, 2018

Picture day

See my little girl has a thing for her clothes she likes to pick them out herself and likes certain ones. Leah always wants to wear fuzzy pants and shirts meaning fleece. She sees one color of something in a pant and shirt they match even if they don’t. She hates being cold and is adamant on wearing pants under dresses until we had a lengthy conversation that you do not have too and she believed afterwards. The other night she tried on a new nightgown that had that new style with the shoulders that come down and she screamed it was broken. So off that went she said she might try it back on in 3 weeks. Her words exactly. That she doesn’t really get the concept of Capri pants so she takes her little feet and tries to push down the pants to meet her ankles and when she realizes that doesn’t work it’s off with the pants. That the line in her socks has to sit in a certain position across her toes. The thing is after I have mothered for as long as I have I don’t care what her outfits look like as long as they are clean. That it’s her personality shining through. That I do not have to make excuses for her like oh hey she dressed herself today and have that look on my face like yikes. Picture day was this week all the girls were dressed up in dresses and really cute outfits. As I looked at them it had me wondering how do they do it? Do the girls pick out these outfits and bows? Are they thrust upon by moms? I would love if Leah wore what I picked out for her but she doesn’t she dresses to the beat of her own fashion sense I guess you could say. I could lay out two outfits that match and she would switch the shirts and pants between the two and come up with something of her own liking. So on picture day Leah wore her favorite cheetah pants and a shirt that matched in her fashion opinion and she did put a headband in her hair. Now could I demand she wear an outfit of my choice with crying and screaming ensuing,but guess what it’s her choice her idea, it’s what makes her comfortable and feel pretty. When we look back years from now we will say you sure did have a style about you that hopefully sticks with her. I have always let my kids express themselves one summer my oldest was obsessed with Spiderman so we shopped the boys section that year and she was even Spider-Man for Halloween. Guess what I am saying is don’t get hung up on what you think your kids should look like. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. What matters is that they are confident. I hope by letting her express herself she builds the confidence everyone needs in life. I hope she never loses her fashion sense!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment